Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Curtain clinging

Well last night was interesting. My wife (let's call her Cameron Diaz for ease) and I have agreed that in order to stop my daughter getting up at 4am every morning and coming in to our room, I am going to supervise the enforced removal of said child to her own bed whenever she deams it necessary to come in to our room before 6.30am (still too bloody early but beggars can't be choosers).

The scenario is one I'm sure all you fathers out there recognise:

You're woken at an un-godly time of the night to the high pitched scream of your child in to your ear as they endeavour to wake you from your hard earned sleep. This morning my daughter was demanding a "huggy" which is not a nappy but her way of asking for a hug. I promptly rose from my sleep to offer the pre-agreed (with Cameron) options -

"either you can walk back to your own bed or I will pick you up and carry you" I said through gritted teeth.

Clearly I had touched a nerve as she launched heself at Cameron's head and locked on with the force of a soviet air-to-air misile with agression issues. Amidst huge screaming I uncurled her fingers from around my wife's neck and started the dangerous journey to her bedroom. I must admit that I had completely underestimated how much of a spirit my daughter has received from us both. I made the mistake of passing too close to the curtains and she latched on to these as if her life depended on them.

Once these were removed from her vice -like grip I was able to get her back to bed. I won't go in to all the details but needless to say I was up for another 15 mins as she negotiated with me for juice. In the end we compromised and I agreed to fetch her a small cup of "nice water, not the nasty water" - whatever that might be. Evidently I chose correctly as she finally settled down and went back to sleep.

This morning however all was different. As I left for work, mini-me informed me that I was the "best Daddy in the World" and that she loved me. In one move she had me back and wrapped around her little finger.

Women learn young these days....

No comments: