Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quality time...

Whooohoo, my daughter actually chose me to do something for her over my wife today! What a great feeling.

I usually feel like a complete waste of space, unable to perform the most basic of tasks like tieing shoe laces. But this weekend I was invited in to the inner sanctum that is my favoured ones bedroom and asked to move a box of dollies in to the bathroom where apparently a full blown school was in operation. Not only that, I performed the task so well that I was asked back to move a second box - what greater validation could there be for my box-moving prowess...

Today, mini me even declared for all to hear that "I want Daddy to hold my hand when I am on the scooter". Now we're talking. This task is usually the sole domain of my beloved wife who takes on the mantel of a waterski boat and pulls mini me in to town on a regular basis with me ambling along in the background. NOT TODAY!!!

I was like a SunSeeker I was so graceful, towing my daughter in my wake. Nothing could stop me, not even an attempt by my wife to reassert her position as "Head Tower" half way through the walk. I saw off her weak attempt with ease, confident in my new found position of "Cool Daddy".

And what drove this whole thing I hear you ask? Well like all Dad's I've been struggling to get "quality time" with the family and so this weekend, I made a real effort to be the one that was on hand to help the daughter or give her a bath or whatever it took. The payback was almost instantaneous and extremely gratifying.

I now have to ensure that I maintain my position which is pretty bloody difficult from behind a desk with my fingers stuck to a laptop - but I'm damn well going to try!

No comments: